Every once in awhile, I spend the morning surfing around the web, like you do, and read a bunch of juicy blogs about racism and think to myself, “Gee, I wish I’d written that.” Rather than succumb to blog-related despair, I collect the best links about racism from around the web and post them here, for you dear reader. This is the latest juicy-blog-link roundup:
- End Racism, End the Recession? – A nice compilation of the latest economic news with a particular focus on the racial inequality by Michael Arceneaux at The Root.
- Amy Sedaris and Hipster Racism – Gwen over at Sociological Images provides an extensive critique of comic Sedaris’ brand of “ching chong” racism. No idea why Sedaris (and other celebs) get away this crap. And, speaking of hipsters, check out Lisa’s earlier post of Jay Smooth on the Asther Roth controversy.
- Racism & Avatars – LaToya, Carmen (and other folks) at Racialicious continue to do a great job on all things race and pop culture. This recent post examines the controversy over the anti-Asian racism in the choice of avatars for an animated film adaptation.
- Hypocritical Obama “Two-Step” on Human Rights and Racism – Glen Ford at The Black Agenda Report excoriates President Obama for “sabotaging” the U.N. anti-racism conference known as Durban II. (Audio of Ford’s radio show, along with full text of his comments, available at the link.)
- Explorer Scouts, Racism & Border Patrol – The folks at ResistRacism expose the racism and anti-immigration fascism of the “Explorer Scouts” recently profiled in The New York Times.
- Degrees of Immigrant Bashing – C.N. at The Color Line offers an analysis that brings together several recent cases of anti-immigrant violence.
- The Luis Ramirez Murder – The Unapologetic Mexican sees the murder of Ramirez as a logical step in the process of establishing a subhuman class.
- Is Slavery Why Black Women Aren’t Breastfeeding? – From Kimberly Seals Allers at MomLogic, and new mom-of-twins Rachel (of Rachel’s Tavern), explores Bottles, Breasts and Mothering ‘Choices.’
- Connection between Mental Health and Racism – from King Politics.
- Kinda Funny Clips – Just because we’re against racism, doesn’t mean we don’t have a sense of humor. Here are a couple of video clips that are both anti-racist and kinda funny: On Being White (via Womanist Musings) and Dave Chappelle on Racism – Just because I miss his stand up.
Enjoy the roundup! Feel free to add links in the comments of anything I missed.