The Basics: Bibliography
- Bell, Derrick. 1992. Faces at the Bottom of the Well: The Permanence of Racism. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Bell, Derrick. 1987. And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest for Racial Justice. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Bonilla-Silva, Eduardo. 2003. Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Collins, Patricia H. 2000. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Daniels, Jessie. 1997. White Lies: Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality in White Supremacist Discourse. New York, NY: Routledge.
- DuBois, W.E.B. 2003. Darkwater: Voices From Within the Veil. Amherst, NY: Humanity Books.
- Essed, Philomena. 1991. Understanding Everyday Racism. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Feagin, Joe R. 2006. Systemic Racism: A Theory of Oppression. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Feagin, Joe R. 2001. Racist America: Roots, Current Realities and Future Reparations. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Feagin, Joe R, Hernan Vera, and Pinar Batur. 2001. White Racism. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Goldberg, David Theo. 2002. The Racial State. New York: Blackwell Publishing.
- Goldberg, David Theo. 1997. Racial Subjects: Writing on Race in America. New York: Routledge.
- Goldberg, David Theo. 1993. Racist Culture: Philosophy and the Politics of Meaning. New York: Blackwell Publishing.
- Gonzales, Juan. 2000. Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
- Jhally, Sut and Justin Lewis. 1992. Enlightened Racism: The ‘Cosby Show,’ Audiences and the Myth of the American Dream. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Lopez, Ian H.F. 1996. White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race. New York, NY: New York University Press.
- Matsuda, Mari J., Charles E. Lawrence, III, Richard Delgado, and Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, Words that Wound: Critical Race Theory, Assaultive Speech, and the First Amendment. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- McKinney, Karyn D. 2005. Being White: Stories of Race and Racism. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Mindiola, Tatcho, Jr., Yolanda Flores Niemann and Nestor Rodriguez. 2003. Black-Brown Relations and Stereotypes. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Omi, Michael and Howard Winant. 1994. Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Picca, Leslie and Joe Feagin. 2007. Two Faced Racism. New York: Routledge.
- Santa Ana, Otto. 2002. Brown Tide Rising: Metaphors of Latinos in Contemporary American Public Discourse. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Suarez-Orozco, M.M. and Mariela M. Paez. 2002. Latinos: Remaking America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Van Dyck, Teun. Elite Discourse and Racism. 1993. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Vera, Hernan and Andrew M. Gordon. 2003. Screen Saviors: Hollywood Fictions of Whiteness. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Wu, Frank H. 2002. Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White. New York, NY: Basic Books.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles: Bibliography. This list of peer-reviewed journal articles is an introduction to the sociology of racial and ethnic studies:
- Beeman, Angie K. “Emotional segregation: A content analysis of institutional racism in U.S. films, 1980-2001.” Ethnic & Racial Studies, Sep2007, Vol. 30 Issue 5, p687-712.
- Doane, Ashley. “What is Racism? Racial Discourse and Racial Politics.” Critical Sociology, 2006, Vol. 32 Issue 2/3, p255-274.
- Dobratz, Betty A. and Stephanie Shanks-Meile. “The Strategy of White Separatism.” Journal of Political & Military Sociology, Summer2006, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p49-79.
- Downey, Liam. “Environmental Racial Inequality in Detroit.” Social Forces, Dec2006, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p771-796.
- Edgell, Penny and Eric Tranby. “Religious Influences on Understandings of Racial Inequality in the United States.” Social Problems, May2007, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p263-288.
- Goldberg, David Theo, Ramon Grosfoguel, and Eric Mielants. “Field of Dreams.” International Journal of Comparative Sociology, Jun/Aug2006, Vol. 47 Issue 3/4, p259-280.
- Guess, Teresa. “The Social Construction of Whiteness: Racism by Intent, Racism by Consequence.” Critical Sociology 2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p649-673.
- O’Brien, Eileen and Katheleen Odell Koren. “It’s the Message, Not the Messenger: The Declining Significance of Black–White Contact in a “Colorblind” Society.” Sociological Inquiry, Aug2007, Vol. 77 Issue 3, p356-382.
- Yancey, George. “Experiencing Racism: Differences in the Experiences of Whites Married to Blacks and Non-Black Racial Minorities.” Journal of Comparative Family Studies, Spring2007, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p197-213.
- Zamudio, Margaret M. and Francisco Rios. “From Traditional to Liberal Racism: Living Racism in the Everyday.” Sociological Perspectives, Winter2006, Vol. 49 Issue 4, p483-501.
[zotpress style=”apa” sort=”ASC” showimage=”yes” download=”yes” abstract=”yes” notes=”yes” cite=”yes” title=”yes”]