Time to turn to the news in racism beyond the U.S.
- In South Africa, The Times is reporting on a search for the individual responsible for three racist murders. Hundreds turned up to protest these murders.
- In Germany, courts handed down a six-month sentence for a 22-year old man convicted of “incitement to racial hatred” for his role in the attack that involved chasing and beating up Indian nationals.
- And, in a cricket battle between India and Australia, one player called another a “monkey” and there’s a huge controversy now about whether or not that constitutes racism.
Those interested in learning more about racism in global perspective can check out the following titles, all fairly recent:
- Racism: A Global Reader. 2003. Kevin Reilly, Stephen Kaufman, and Angela Bodino (Editors). M.E. Sharpe.
- Race and Power: Global Racism in the 21st Century. 2002. Gargi Bhattacharyya, John Gabriel and Stephen Small. Routledge.
- Resisting Racism and Xenophobia: Global Perspectives on Race, Gender and Human Rights. 2005. Faye Venetia Harrison. Rowman Altamira.